a. That which has mass and occupies space; matter.
b. A material of a particular kind or constitution.
a. Essential nature; essence.
b. Gist; heart.
3. That which is solid and practical in character, quality, or importance: a plan without substance.
4. Density; body: Air has little substance.
5. Material possessions; goods; wealth: a person of substance.
1. the tangible matter of which a thing consists
2. a specific type of matter, esp a homogeneous material with a definite composition
3. the essence, meaning, etc., of a written or spoken thought
4. solid or meaningful quality
5. (Physics / General Physics) material density a vacuum has no substance
6. material possessions or wealth a man of substance
7. (Philosophy) Philosophy
a. the supposed immaterial substratum that can receive modifications and in which attributes and accidents inhere
b. a thing considered as a continuing whole that survives the changeability of its properties
8. (Christian Churches, other) Christian Science that which is eternal
9. a euphemistic term for any illegal drug
in substance with regard to the salient points